PUT A PANTHER TO WORK PROGRAM
Is now availabe. Players needs to see Coach Sonnichsen if they need help raising funds for football expenses.
CONGRATS TO COACH JESSE WILHELM FOR BEING SELECTED AS MEAD DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR.
Coach Wilhelm is a Mead Alumni. He was an All State Player at Mead HS. Jesse then went onto the University of Idaho to continue his football career. He has been coaching at Mead HS since 2015. He has won 2 GSL league championships and was named GSL Assistant Coach of the Year in 2017.
2018 FOOTBALL CAMP
1. VARSITY - 40 players will be selected to attend BOISE STATE FB CAMP.
2. JV - approx 30 players will be selected to play on JV team at EWU FB CAMP.
3. C - approx 30 players will be selected to play on C team at EWU FB CAMP.
4. Frosh - 30 players will be selected to play on Frosh team at EWU FB CAMP.
Do you want to play college football?
Complete the following and you will be added to our Mead Football Recruiting Letter:
1.) Unofficial Transcript given to Coach Sonnichsen
2.) Varsity HUDL highlight film (keep approx 5 minutes in length)
3.) Contact information given to Coach Sonnichsen (phone number / email address)
Attached are the schools that typically come and meet with Mead Football Players. The Mead Football Staff also sends out a recruiting letter to college football programs asking for an evaluation on our football players.
Playing college football doesn't just happen. Recruiting is an active process for both the HS player and the college football program.
MEAD PANTHERS + COLLEGE FOOTBALL
CONGRATS TO OROM OPIEW IN SIGNING WITH CENTRAL WASHINGTON TO PLAY COLLEGE FOOTBALL
EJ BADE, CONAIRE SHAFFER, AND PAYTON LOUCKS MONTANA WESTERN
VINNY SALDANA WHITWORTH
ALEX REID CARROLL COLLEGE
SAMSON BROWN EASTERN OREGON
2017 BATTLE OF THE BELL
The Mead Panthers took down rivals Mount Spokane 24-19 in the annual Battle of the Bell for the 2nd year in a row. Joe Heitman finished the game with 3 INT's. Kannon Katzer rushed for 112 yards and threw a game winning TD pass to Jonathan Baird.
2016 BATTLE OF THE BELL
The Mead Panther Football Team beat Mount Spokane 35-12 for the annual Battle of the Bell. Lucas Bacon was named player of the game. LB had 5 catches for 164 yards receiving and 4 touchdowns.
PARENT FB CONVERSATIONS AT HOME ...
Here might be some helpful questions to dialogue about ...
1.) Why are you playing football? Or why do you like playing football?
- Social aspect (comraderie, friends, school pride, family)
- Competitive aspect (winning, statistics, accomplishing goals)
- Challenge aspect (strength + conditioning, playing time, football knowledge)
2.) Do you understand the workload that is expected with Mead Football?
- Complete 100% Fundraising. Do your part.
- 8 June practices
- Attend Team Football Camp. Varsity - Boise State / JV-C-Frosh - EWU
- 25 out of 30 Summer Workouts at Mead HS with Football Team
- Strength and Conditioning at Mead HS every semester (Sonic teaches - 0,1,2,3,5 periods)
- 100% Practice Attendance
3.) Do you understand how the 4 teams at Mead Football are selected?
(The Coaching Staff separates the 4 teams at Mead HS.)
Varsity Team - open for Freshman - Seniors. We select approx 40 players for the varsity. Here are some of the ongoing discussion items us coaches have in regards to selecting varsity players: upperclassmen, strength and conditioning, football skill, attitude, grades, positive / negative influence on team, commitment to team expectations.
JV Team - open Sophomores - Seniors. We select approx 40 players that we want to work against the varsity team. These are typically our next varsity players. Here are some of the ongoing discussion items us coaches have in regards to JV players: strength and conditioning, football skill, attitude, grades, positive / negative influence on team, commitment to team expectations.
C Team - open Freshman - Seniors. We select approx 25-40 players for the C team to work against the freshman team. Here are some of the ongoing discussion items us coaches have in regards to C players: strength and conditioning, football skill, attitude, grades, positive / negative influence on team, commitment to team expectations.
Freshman Team - open to Freshman only. We select 30 players for the freshman team. Many of the freshman players move to the JV team the following year. On an average year only 3-5 players move to the varsity team after their freshman season. Here are some of the ongoing discussion items us coaches have in regards to freshman players: strength and conditioning, football skill, attitude, grades, positive / negative influence on team, commitment to team.
4.) Do you want to play Varsity Football during your HS Career?
- Participate in all Mead Football activities every season. Finish in good standing.
- Give great effort "daily" in weight room. Have Coach Sonnichsen make comments to you.
- Play other sports at Mead HS.
- Get good grades, be clear of athletic codes.
- Throw the football in offseason with teammates.
- OL / DL footwork in offseason with teammates.